St Sepulchre chapel in the undercroft of the church designed by Ninian Comper
Rev. Dr Richard Temple West’s memorial brass

Perhaps the principal figure of the ‘High Victorian’ style, Street was the third son of solicitor Thomas Henry Street and his second wife Mary Anne Millington. Despite an early talent for painting and a passion for architectural antiquities, Street initially worked for the family’s law office. Following his father’s death, he was first articled to architect Owen Carter and later joined Sir George Gilbert Scott’s office in London in 1844. A perfectionist with an almost obsessive attention to detail, Street had established his own office by 1849 quickly becoming a leading architectural figure, sought out by clients and students alike. Both William Morris (1834-1896) and Philip Webb (1831-1915) were Street’s students. A member of the High Church and active in the Ecclesiological Society, Street was particularly renowned for his ecclesiastical buildings; the Crimean Memorial Chapel, Istanbul (1856) and All Saints Church, Denstone (1860-62) are just two examples. Today, he is best known for the Royal Courts of Justice in London, (1866-1882) a building he did not live to see finished, dying from a stroke believed to have been exacerbated by the stress of the project.

Father Henry Everett conducts a guided tour St Sepulchre chapel in the undercroft of the church.